Cherry Port Brownie
1 cup pitted cherries (frozen works fine)
150 ml Suncrest Orchard Cherry Port
1 ½ cups sugar
¾ cup plain flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
½ cup icing sugar
½ cup chocolate chips
Pinch of salt
½ cup of oil (canola or olive)
2 tbsp. water
½ tsp vanilla
- Place the cherries in a small dish and cover with port and leave to macerate for several hours or overnight.
- Drain the cherries in a sieve, reserve the liquid
- Preheat oven to 165 degrees Celcius
- Line a brownie tin with baking paper (approx. 20cm x 20xm dish)
- In a medium bowl combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, icing sugar, chocolate chips, and salt.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs, oil, water, and vanilla.
- Add the dry mix to the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined – don’t overmix!
- Pour the batter into the tin (it will be quite thick).
- Gently poke the cherries in the top of the brownie mix and push down a little so they become a little covered by the mix.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove and cool in the tin.
Cherry Port Sauce:
- Put the reserved liquid into a small pot
- Over low heat, reduce the cherry port liquid until it resembles a sauce consistency. It will get sticky and thick as it cools down.