Cherry Picking, Packhouse & Other Seasonal Orchard Jobs
Suncrest Orchard offers a variety of seasonal orchard work throughout the year in Cromwell, Central Otago.
Our peak season is during the cherry export season from early December (usually the first week of December) until late January/early February during which time we employ up to 200 seasonal staff.
Outside of the cherry season, we have a variety of roles including harvesting summerfruit & pipfruit, pruning and thinning – although we only employ up to 10 seasonal staff for these roles.
Why Work for Us:
- We are a family-owned and operated orchard with 3 generations working hands-on in the business.
- We employ all our seasonal employees on a seasonal fixed-term basis. This means that all our seasonal employees are guaranteed a minimum of 32 hours of work per week.
- We only operate days shifts in both the orchard and the packhouse with reasonable daily hours.
- We grow over 30 varieties of cherries which means that during cherry harvesting, we do not have long breaks when there is no work available.
- We are Global GAP and GRASP accredited. This means we are a safe, sustainable company practising good agricultural practices and complying with national employment legislation.
- We offer a great team environment.
- We provide free transport to and from work each day for those employees staying in Cromwell.
- With the exception of our Bannockburn orchard, all of our orchards are located within 1km of each other so there is minimal travel time. Travel time is paid for any travel between orchards and transport is provided.
- We offer a range of accommodation options both on and off the orchard.
Suncrest Orchard is located just outside of Cromwell (a 5-minute drive, 20-minute bike ride or 1 hour walk).
Whatever the season there is something to enjoy in and around Cromwell. Whether it’s fishing, swimming or boating on Lake Dunstan, walking one of the numerous walking trails, enjoying the 4 Barrels Walking Wine Tour, cycling the newly opened Lake Dunstan Trail, a visit to one of the many local cellar doors, or exploring gold mining relics, there is a choice of pace and things to do when you are not working.
We are also less than 1 hour’s drive from both Queenstown and Wanaka so are a great place to base yourself at any time of the year.